A Transformed Life - Self Control
- How do we learn self-control? What can we do to improve our self-control?
- What is the biggest test of your self-control? How did you succeed? How did you fail?
- What scriptures help you with self-control the most?
- Do you feel that frustration (with traffic, computer, other people, etc.) is often a primary cause of your losing control? What can you do about this?
Here is a short test on self-control – Please discuss and cover as many as you can in your groups but remember that a good discussion on one question is better than a shallow discussion on all of them.
1. During a church service, at the movies, or during a Bible study, do you often talk to your neighbors?
2. If someone makes you angry, do you strike back, either physically or verbally?
3. When you are standing in a line, do you get very impatient and even push against the person ahead of you?
4. Do you rely on others to remind you of things you need to do, getting someplace on time, what clothes to wear etc.?
5. Do you frequently start things with good intentions and then not finish them?
6. If you know that you should not consume a certain food or drink that you like a lot, do you have it anyway?
7. Have you tried to break some bad habits and not been successful?
8. Are you often late for appointments?
9. Do you find it difficult to stop doing something you enjoy and turn to a distasteful task you need to do?
10. Do you feel yourself fearful of or stressed by small unimportant things or happenings?
If you answered yes to more than 3 questions, you may need to examine ways of improving your self-control.