A Transformed Life - Getting Closer to God (Spiritual Transformation)
Below are the discussion questions we will be reviewing in our study on Wednesday night (5/04/2016, 6pm at the church building). Please review the below and be prepared to discuss them this Wednesday. If you would like to read a summary of the sermon, or watch the video, please click here.
- The message translates Jeremiah 29:13-14 as, “When you get serious about finding me and want it more than anything else, … I’ll turn things around for you” God said ‘get serious about finding me.’ What does this ‘getting serious’ look like in a person’s life? How can we know when we are making progress about getting serious?
- Read Isaiah 59:2 and reflect on the many things that separate us from God. Then notice in Luke 15:17-18 how the lost son’s life was unmanageable until he recognized the sins that separated him from God. Why do sins make our lives unmanageable? What are you trying to manage in your life that you should turn over to God?
- Often sins develop when we begin to love something more than we love God, so that ‘something’ becomes an idol. Name things that could easily become idols in your life or that you’ve seen be a problem in the lives of others.
- What is holding you back from getting closer to God?
- There are at least five things we need to do to be closer to God: confess our sins regularly, immerse ourselves in His word, pray, regularly meet with other believers, and live a life of obedience. Which of these is more of a struggle for you? Why?
- When do you feel ‘close’ to God? When do you feel ‘distant’? Why do you think that is?