1.Revenge doesn't always take the form of doing something to make someone pay for a wrong. Sometimes we are happy when someone who has wronged us suffers in some way. Think of a time when/if you have felt this way. What Bible verses or actions can help you get to a better, less "revengeful" place?
2. The Spanish have a story about a father and son who had become estranged. The son left home and the father set out to find him. He searched for many months with no success.
Finally, in desperation, the father took out a newspaper ad that read, “Dear Paco, meet me in front of this newspaper office at noon on Saturday. All is forgiven. I love you. Your father.” On Saturday, 800 men named Paco showed up looking for forgiveness and love from their fathers.
What would happen to families, particularly in the Church, if less punishment/revenge was sought and more forgiveness and moving on to a new, closer relationship was forged?
3. In our society today, especially American culture, we are offended by injustice. Anytime we perceive an injustice has occurred, we wish to see it addressed. What are some Bible verses that help you cope with some of the injustice you see in this world?
4. Think of a time where you retaliated or took revenge on someone (no need to share specifics). In the aftermath of that situation, how did you feel about your actions (Especially when you consider those actions under the light of the gospel)?
5. There are at least two examples in the bible where God gave permission for people to take vengeance on others (Numbers 31:1-2) and (1 Peter 2:13-14). What is the difference between these situations and situations today where we feel revenge is justified/necessary?
6. David is a perfect example of someone who was wronged and didn't seek revenge (I Samuel 24:12). Most likely, any situation today in which we feel we have been wronged doesn't come close to how David was wronged by Saul. Think of a specific situation in which you would like revenge/retaliation (no one has to share specifics), what are some specific ways you can apply David's approach to revenge to your situation?
Pressure Points: Revenge or Justice?
Revenge sells. From Kill Bill to True Grit to Star Wars to The Count of Monte Cristo, stories of people who are driven by revenge touch something deep within us. We all want to see justice done for past wrongs. Please join us as we discuss the important differences between revenge and justice.